Runway Inspired DIY

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I have been trying to keep up with the Spring fashion shows, but there are so many! However, the ones I have seen, I find a ton of inspiration. I have even found a few looks that I know I can recreate :) The following  DIY comes from a look in the Burberry Prorsum Spring RTW 2012 collection. I have a feeling I will be doing quite a few more runway inspired DIY's in the near future!

Burberry Prorsum Spring 2012 Ready to Wear


I saw this sweater and thought "Hey I could make that." So, that is exactly what I set out to do. I don't exactly care for the prints featured here but I love the idea of having a different pattern panel down the front. Now, I don't really know how to construct clothing, but I do know how to modify existing stuff.. kinda :D I went to the thrift store and started searching for shirts and patterns that I might want to mix. I had a bit of a hard time finding a long sleeve with a nice pattern so I decided I would find a plain sweater and add the print as a front panel. Below I have laid out my process...




 I found this shirt and I really liked the pattern, however it is a 2X... so I figured I could at least cut it up and use the fabric for my center panel.



I found this mocha brown long sleeve that goes perfectly with the pattern shown above.  I only paid $6 for this one and $5 for the short sleeve. I figured for $11, I could experiment a bit.


I began the process by putting on the long sleeve and seeing where the center fell on me. I then made two ink marks as big as I wanted the middle panel to be. I ended up measuring 4" and making pen marks all the way down so when I cut it, it would be straight.


I cut out the center panel, as you can see above. Note, this is my first time using Jersey knit and it is a pain in the Ba-donk-a-donk!! I suggest using a different fabric if you're a beginner like me.

I then cut a strip of fabric from the patterned blouse. I cut it 5" wide to compensate for the space it takes to sew new seams.



I lined up the panel to the collar and the bottom of the long sleeve in order to see where I needed to hem the it. Once I made sure the two pieces fit I folded and pinned the panel and proceeded to sew it on top and bottom.

 After I made sure the top and bottom of the panel were hemmed, I began pinning the sides to the long sleeve. Again, working with a knit can be kind of trying but I got through it with only minimal puckering!!


Here is the end result!! I am so very proud of myself for being able to see something and make it a reality!! I know Burberry put this in a spring collection, but I am wearing my mini masterpiece all winter long :D 

My little afternoon project only cost me $11 and two hours time!! I promise a style post with this shirt very soon!!

20 comments :