You know I love my denim, and am always intrigued by each season's take on plain old denim! Do you remember my denim report from last fall? This year's denim forecast is fairly similar to last year, just a few tweaks here and there. I know I haven't been forecasting fashion long enough to truly see the patterns, but this fall seems like everyone got lazy and threw rhinestones on last year's trends (metaphorically that is). I would venture to say that you can wear anything in your closet from last fall and no one would be the wiser that it's a year old. I guess this is good news for us thrifty gals, if fashion doesn't change dramatically, we don't have to spend extra cash for the newest trends!
As I write this I realize that I am always writing about the next trend, and how superficial that must sound. But the truth is, I am VERY boring in the rest of my life. I order the same thing at every restaurant I go to, but with fashion, I crave the newest thing, I long for trends, and I enjoy how easily they come and go. I appreciate classic pieces, but I wouldn't love fashion like I do, if it was traditional all the time.
1. Coated: The "coated" pant was on every trend report last year too. It basically means anything that has been chemically treated is a go, lol. The waxy look or the wet look, it's up to you!
2. Studded: Embellishments are in, and they're invading the denim category. Your jeans shouldn't be overly embellished, but a few stud rivets here and there are all the rage.
3. Two-toned: This trend is just a recycled version of last year's "side strip pant." The two-toned pant will either have a thick stripe down the side, or perhaps the front and back will be two different colors. It's basically just color-blocking on jeans!
4. Moto: I don't know where this trend came from, perhaps it snuck in with all the leather details (I don't care if 'sneaked' is the proper tense, it sounds stupid in this sentence). Moto pants are simply pants with lots of seaming around the knees. They were derived from actual motorcycle protective wear, which has extra padding sewn in around the knee. The jeans you find this season need not contain extra protection, only extra details!
5. Printed: Last year it was polka dots and floral, this year it's camo? I have not been silent on my aversion towards camouflage print. It reminds me of hunting and rednecks. My family is largely rednecks, and I didn't go to fashion school to blend in with them. I will admit, I have seen some celebrities and fashionistas wearing some fabulous camo skinnies... but that doesn't mean you'll find me in it! If this is your thing, more power to you... but I won't be caught dead in camouflage unless I'm being hunted.
You can also find My Thrifty Chic